About us - the history of Knudsens gaard

BEST WESTERN Hotel Knudsens Gaard is a 4-star hotel situated right in the heart of Denmark. The historic half- timbered, three-winged farm borders the charming cobbled courtyard, where, weather permitting, guests can enjoy their lunch or dinner. The farm has been carefully renovated, respecting the original features.
The hotel has its own free parking, either in the courtyard or in a secure underground car park, which also has charging points for electric vehicles.

rober Lund Jensen


“It was glorious in the country; it was summer, the cornfields were yellow, the oats were green, the hay had been put up in stacks in the green meadows; and the stork went about on his long red legs, and chattered Egyptian, for this was the language he had learned from his mother...”

 Historie

Who knows? Perhaps Hans Christian Andersen was inspired to write “The Ugly Duckling” on his trips out to Knudsens Gaard to buy milk!
 
But the history of Knudsens Gaard dates back even further than that. Right back to 1100, when King Canute VI donated eight farms in the village of Hunderup to Dalum Abbey.
During the Reformation in 1536, Hunderup was seized by the crown, and all its farms were designated as cavalry estates, functioning as such until 1765, when all tenant farmers purchased their tenant farms from the king to become freehold farmers.
 
In 1833, a large fire devastated Hunderup and no fewer than six farms were reduced to ashes. Everything changed at this point, as the village was spread out and parcelled out. In 1901, the village became a neighbourhood of Odense. At that time, the farm had been in the ownership of the Knudsen family for many years. In 1927, the parcelling out of the farm’s fields began, and the city moved in.

 

In 1954, the primary parcel and the buildings were transferred to A/S De Knudsenske Grunde and converted into Motel Odense – Hotel Knudsens Gaard, which was finally inaugurated in November 1955.
The hotel has since undergone regular modernisation and renovation, but always with respect for its history and the preservation of the original features.
 
Over the years, Hotel Knudsens Gaard has been visited by many nationalities. Many locals feel a special affinity to the hotel, where important anniversaries have been celebrated with wonderful functions in the popular, evocative setting offered by the hotel.
 
In 1987, Sinne and Steen Sørensen took over the hotel and, through their personal involvement and commitment, created a warm, intimate atmosphere. In 2003, the couple also took over the famous Hotel Hesselet in Nyborg, which is run by their daughter and son-in-law, Rikke and Peter Karner.

 

This website uses cookies

For further details about these and how to handle your settings, see our Cookie Policy.

I accept cookies